Welcome to The Orchard. Situated in the centre of the School, The Orchard had its beginnings in 1857 (the School’s 300th anniversary) when the Rev. William Johnson began to take boarders in a house on the site of the current vicarage. It was Johnson who was principally responsible for making Porta Vacat Culpa the school motto. This formidable individual also holds the record for longevity as a Repton Housemaster, holding the post for forty years! Such was the popularity of the House that the then Headmaster Steuart Adolphus Pears commissioned a new building to be built on the current site, behind the recently erected School Chapel. The Orchard was thus the first school house outside the Arch - or at least the first that can claim continuity to the present day.
Anton Smith, BSc
Anton Smith is the twelfth Housemaster of The Orchard. He is
married to Rachel who is the School's Exams Administrator and they have three
children, Callum, who is fifteen, and in O Block at Repton, as well as twins,
William and Ellie, who attend Foremarke in Year Seven. Other family members
include a cocker spaniel called Pepper and a cheeky rabbit by the name of
Cookie. Anton teaches Physics in the Science Priory and is Officer
Commanding the RAF Section of the School CCF.